I love this granola with yogurt and fresh fruit. I am a huge pistachio fan and got the idea to make this after I had an amazing pistachio granola yogurt parfait one morning following a crazy night in Vegas.
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 2 cups regular oats
- 2/3 cup chopped pistachios
- 2/3 cup nutlike cereal nuggets (such as Grape-Nuts, Kashi 'Go Lean Crunch')
- 2/3 cup dried sweet cherries (or cranberries)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine sugar and cider in a large nonstick skillet; cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently. Stir in oats and remaining ingredients; cook 5 minutes or until granola is lightly browned, stirring frequently. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container up to a week.
Rather than combining in a skillet, I combine all ingredients and bake for 10-15 minutes at 350. Also, I'm sure honey could be substituted for the sugar, although I haven't yet tried it.