She says to cook it at 275, but it takes it a LONG time in my oven on that temp, so I do the first half hour at 325 and the last half at 300, if still not cooked in the middle add another 5-10mins at 275. But try it first at 275 your oven might be different???
Once it's out of the oven you need to do the "freezer-trick" method, where you wrap the top with saran wrap and put it in the freezer for 45mins.
You can half the frosting recipe if you are hoping for more of a glaze look or the whole for a more frosted cake feel...
- 1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe (You can even throw black banana's into the freezer until you get enough for 1 1/2C. It takes about 4-6 banana's.)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/8 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (Or substitute with milk and lemon juice)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups icing sugar
- chopped walnuts
- I like to add fresh fruit to the top. Blueberries, strawberries and raspberries are perfect addition!
I think there is about 30 mins prep time, 1hr+ cook time and 45 mins resting time, so keep that in mind when making. You could make this the night before and wait to add the frosting. It's best when cooled thoroughly.
- 1. Preheat oven to 275°. (Or 325 if you follow me.)
- 2. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan. I use my Demarle Sunflower pan for this recipe and it works perfect! I think you could do a nice two layer cake as well, there is a lot of batter!
- 3. In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
- 4. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- 5. In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
- 6. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla.
- 7. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- 8. Stir in banana mixture.
- 9. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center
- comes out clean.
- 10. Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist.
- 11. For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- 12. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- 13. Add icing sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
- 14. Spread on cooled cake.
- 15. Sprinkle chopped walnuts and or fruit over top of the frosting, if desired.