1 lb Italian sausage, browned and drained
1 c. coarsely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 c. beef broth
1/2 c. water
1 lg. can crushed tomatoes
1 med green pepper chopped
1 c. thinly sliced carrots or baby carrots sliced lengthwise
1/2 t. basil
1/2 t. oregano
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 c. sliced zucchini
1 (10 oz) pkg. cheese tortellini
-Brown sausage and drain.
- Sauté onions and garlic in sausage pan.
- Add all ingredients except zucchini and tortellini.
- Simmer until carrots have cooked some.
- Add zucchini and continue to simmer just until barely tender.
- In a separate pot, prepare tortellini as directed on package, but undercook a little. Drain and add to soup.
- Thin soup with more beef broth if you would like.
Makes 6-8 quarts: ten to twelve big servings. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. This tastes even better the next day!
My sister-in-law Alyssa made this soup for us this week. AMAZING!