Sunday, May 23, 2010

TO DIE FOR Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Icing


Listen party people. This is my all time favorite dessert (and I only discovered it a year ago after moving to Hershey, PA). I can not begin to describe the deliciousness of this cake. For all of you that have had chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting at the Hershey Pantry - you know what I am talking about. And you know life will never be the same. For those who haven't - stop what you are doing and make this cake! I don't know who came up with such a brilliant combo - maybe it was someone here who was smelling Reese's in the air. But we gotta get the word out. Here we go.....

Chocolate Cake
  • 2 C sugar
  • 3/4 C oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 C cocoa
  • 1 1/2 C boiling water
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 C flour
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Mix together sugar, oil, and eggs.
Add cocoa, baking soda and powder, and water. Mix until combined.
Add flour and vanilla.
Place in a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. (I baked in two 9 inch round pans for 25 minutes.)

Peanut Butter Icing
  • 1 1/2 C crisco
  • 3/4 C peanut butter
  • 1/2 C butter
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 C + 2 Tbsp. milk
  • 1 1/2 lb. powdered sugar
In a mixer, cream together crisco, peanut butter and butter.
Add vanilla. Beat until smooth.
With the mixer at low speed, carefully add milk and powdered sugar.
When sugar is fully incorporated, beat icing on high speed, until fluffy.

Chocolate Ganache
  • 1/2 C chocolate chips
  • 1/4 C heavy whipping cream
In a saucepan, stir chocolate chips and cream together over medium heat until smooth.
Pour over top of a frosted cake and spread so that ganache drips evenly over all edges of the cake. Let cool until firm.

3 comments:

  1. Lins you crack me up! I agree...it's a little piece of heaven. Thanks for making this recipe available to the common folk. MmmMmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the golden ticket right there. I can't believe that this recipe is really within my reach, thanks for making all of my dreams a reality! Your did a great job with the pic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this cake recipe - it's fairly easy and straightforward so I can actually make it, it looks really impressive, and it's delicious!!! Thanks for sharing, Linsy!! Miss all of you guys - I use this blog all the time and it makes me miss my Hershey friends. :-D

    ReplyDelete