Friday, September 17, 2010

The BEST Marinara Sauce

As I am making a double batch right now I just can't help but post this recipe. It's just TOO good not to. It's zesty, which I love.

Marinara Sauce for Pasta (Katie B from Hershey Ward))

½ cup olive oil
1 medium onion
1 small carrot
large handful of fresh parsley or 2-3 Tbsp. dry parsley
3 to 5 cloves of garlic – crushed or finely chopped
1 large can crushed tomatoes (28 oz.)
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 Tbsp. dried Basil
1 16 oz. tomato sauce
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
3 tsp. capers
1 tsp. sugar
½ cup to ¾ cup of water (used to rinse out tomato sauce cans)
½ to ¾ cup chicken broth

Finely chop onion, carrot, parsley and garlic by hand or in food processor. Sauté chopped ingredients as well as basil and oregano in heated olive oil until somewhat soft. Add rest of ingredients. Simmer very slowly for 1 ½ to 3 hours. Serve over the pasta of your choice with freshly grated (not canned) Parmesan, Romano or Asiago cheese.
For a change of pace, you may add mushrooms, ground beef, ground Italian sausage, shrimp, etc. I always add lots of ground beef and/or sausage!!

2 comments:

  1. I can attest to the goodness of this sauce. Camie brought me some spagetti (Why is my computer saying that's spelled wrong? Spegetti? Spaggetti? Speggetti? Nope. All wrong.) anyway, she brought me some spagetti made with this sauce after I had Olive. There was some extra after all the noodles were gone and I literally picked up the bowl and drank it. I've made it since and oh my goodness, it's so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks so good! thanks for all of your yummy recipes Camie! you are quite the impressive cook! So, maybe I had to google what a caper was - but I totally know now and I am all over it! Annie - love the visual of drinking the sauce, glad I'm not the only one who does this.

    ReplyDelete