Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Parmigiano Pumpkin Soup

This soup is pretty fantastic. I wanted to make this for my parents the last time they visited but there was a canned pumpkin shortage so they had to break into their food storage and bring a can with them. They were glad they did!

Parmigiano Pumpkin Soup (American Lifestyle Magazine, October 2009)
3 slices bacon, cut into thin strips
1 large onion, cut into 1/8” dice
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (about 28 ounces) 100% pure pumpkin
1 quart chicken broth
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
½ cup cream (at least 10% fat)
½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley (flat-leaf)

Heat a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and sauté until crisp and frizzled. Add the onion and sauté until tender. Add the garlic and cook for a few seconds, until aromatic. Stir in the pumpkin, broth, nutmeg, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Transfer to a 5- to 6- quart slow cooker, cover, and cook for 3 to 4 hours on high, or 6 to 8 hours on low. Stir in the cream and Parmesan, and heat through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Thank You! I was actually going to ask you if you could email that recipe to me since it has been on my mind ever since you told me about the soup. It looks fabulous. I will definitely be making this soon! Those ingredients are making me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ***DISCLAIMER

    This is the best soup that you will ever eat! I love it so much and I was excited to wake up the next morning just so that I could eat it again for an early lunch!!!

    ReplyDelete